Monday, November 24, 2014

Manhwa and webtoon adaptations



[Naver: Joseon Illbo] Manhwas are taking over dramas

'Damo' (2003) 'Goong/Palace' (2006), 'Tamra, the Island' (2009)  are all manhwa adaptations that succeeded without any makjang (over exaggerated, dramatic, cliche) plots.

The trends right now are webtoons. 'Scholar Who Walks the Night', 'Jekyll and Me', 'Cheese in the Trap' are all webtoons that are expected to be made into dramas.


1. [+2267, -153] Good: Misaeng. Bad: Nodame Catabile..

2. [+1982, -68] Instead of making sloppy remakes of Japanese mangas, let's just stick to remakes of Korean webtoons. These days, they don't fall short to the Japanese ones.

3. [+1316, -78] Next year is 'Cheese in the Trap'♥♥  I'm totally anticipating it!! Who exactly will be casted as Yoojung and Inho!!!!

4. [+994, -32] It's a relief webtoons are at least doing well but I hope manhwas do well too... there hasn't been a manhwa that hit daebak after Park Sohee writer's 'Palace' (Goong).  I hope webtoons and manhwas can all succeed!!!

12 comments:

  1. I'm really waiting for Cheese in the trap! Hopefully they will pick some decent ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, goong was my favorite drama<33333

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joowon is good at being Yoojin in Neil's Cantabile though :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Misaeng is amazing. Liar Game has been good too, mainly because Shin Sung Rok has been doing a thrilling job as the villian.

    I agree though, they should remake more Korean manhwa's and webtoons because those are suited to the cultural subtleties of Korea. The only time a Korean remake of a Japanese manga hit it big was BOF but I highly doubt that will happen again, and that show wasn't exactly a great watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good remake needs all components though. The leads are both great actors, but if the rest of the cast, the script etc. falls short then there's not much that can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. can you translate the article abt people from Soyu's high school coming out to say she wasn't an iljin? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah well, I only watch it for Joowon. I agree though, the rest of the cast are just so so. Btw, when will they kiss? It's already ep 14, and their relationship is still unclear. Frustrated me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg. They're making the drama about it!? I loved this manhwa ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read two manhwas 7 years ago (forgot the title) and I thought it will really be interesting to make into a drama. One is a story about an girl who get amnesia, turns out she's actually a badass/the top iljin girl in the city, and she fell in love with some guys innocently lol. The other one is a story about accident kissing between girlxboy and the boy asked the girl for her responsibility because he's still a virgin (and a clean cod freak) but yeah they're eventually fell in love with each other lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope I can find the english version of this because I don't fully understand korean. ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ
    Oh, Park Hae Jin has been offered to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually, Naver has finally been translating Cheese in the Trap into English since June. http://www.webtoons.com/episodeList?titleNo=99. Also, if you're looking for chapters beyond episode 24, Odd Squad Scanlations has been translating Cheese in the Trap into English in a way that doesn't interfere w/ the author's wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried searching for the manhwa you talked about, with the iljin girl getting amnesia... My guess is that it's called Lover Discovery? https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=7690

    As for the second one, I believe I read it too, but I have no idea what it is @_@;; I stopped reading Manhwas, since webtoons are the trend these days, haha.

    ReplyDelete